Friday, February 4, 2011

Help from ashore

Two days ago when we got here and after we anchored and got situated and it was cocktail time I had a beer. It started raining and I rounded up the laptop, cruising guide, misc stuff, and my partially empty beer and took everything below. As I was laying the laptop on the NAV station I spilled a little beer on the NAV computer keyboard. Wiped everything up and no harm done - except the next morning keys started sticking. I got out the trusty spray cleaner and decided to clean the keyboard................ How do you spell MISTAKE. Anyway, the keyboard is dead and because I had a password on the NAV computer login we could not access it - sorry Charlie.

Went ashore this afternoon, between rain showers, and borrowed a French keyboard from Pelican (Internet Cafe and Customs terminal location in Deshaies, Guadeloupe) . They saved the day as I was able to remove the password at login and we now have access to NAV data again using only the mouse. I returned the keyboard and tried to pay them something for their trouble and they would not accept it. Nice people and we really appreciate the kind of people we have occasion to meet out here.

Hoping for a Green Flash - even after all of the rain we've had!

UPDATE: Yes, we had a nice green flash. The sun broke out from under the clouds just before the suns orb reached the horizon and we got a nice flash just as the sun dropped below the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment