Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Busy Day in Antigua



We went ashore this morning and I mailed a letter and then met with Arnold (HotHotHotSpot) to discuss some WiFi Access Point issues in the Caribbean.  We had a nice meeting then Arnold gave us a ride over to the Slipway where we purchased a few items at the Chandlery then stopped at Salty Dogs for lunch.

We headed back to the boat and bumped into Marco (IP 380 Habibi) and we talked a little while then he invited us over for snacks and drinks.  We made it back to the boat just before the sky opened up with a heavy rain shower.

I worked on the Diesel Genie and have things back to normal with it and have a few more minor projects onboard to deal today.

I then did some email with a fellow aboard an IP-40 in the Exumas who is trying to sort out an issue with stray current in, of all places, the rigging.  This is a very unusual issue but think that it is related to the lack of DC block capacitors is the RF ground leads on his wire tuner and HF Radio. 

When we first outfitted our boat for offshore in the late 1990’s HF with Pactor was pretty much essential but if I was going to make a recommendation on it now I would say that the Inmarsat  (voice and data) is both more economical and reliable.  I don’t think I would go the HF route again.  I’ve had an Amateur Radio license sine I was 14 years old but see very little use for it out here with options that are available.

I also got an email from SuperYacht Times asking if they could use some of my recent photos of the MV Garcon - so they included two on their website.

We went over to Habibi and Marco gave us the tour – he’s made some nice improvements onboard.  A small computer desk that doubles as a cockpit table expander, EchoTec Water Maker, refrigeration, LED lighting, etc.  We had a great visit and hope to catch up with the again in the future.

Today we plan to meet Kim and Sandy (IP-40 Kewaydin) and tomorrow Mike and Lynn (IP-35 Seabbatical).  It’s getting crowded with IP’s out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment