Monday, July 28, 2014

Transmission

We've had an oil leak from the rear of the transmission for several years.  Not a bad leak but annoying with transmission fluid staining our engine absorbent pads.  Since I have the shaft out of the boat I decided to go ahead and pull the transmission.

I first removed the rear motor mount lock nuts so that I could raise the engine a few inches.  Once the eninge was up I removed the motor mount brackets that are bolted to the transmission/engine block.  The transmission bolts came out easily using a 1/2 socket wrench.  The lower two bolts were not so easy as I could not get the socket on the bolt heads but had to use a small box end wrench and a small breaker bar.  Once the bolts were loose I could remove them easily.  The transmission slid out easily and I brought it home yesterday.

I cleaned the housing up, removed the output shaft, installed a new inner O Ring and pressed in a new rear seal.  I did not have a new front seal so decided to go ahead and or a replacement and install while the transmission is out.


Rear of the transmission with new seal and O Ring in place and new output coupling lock nut.

 KBW10 transmission.  Will spot paint the case and reinstall everything this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment