Friday, February 27, 2015

Dinner Key Marina

I spent the better part of Wednesday on an IP-420 located at Dinner Key Marina, Miami.

The trip over was great but once I got onto I-95 that all changed and then when 95 turned into US-1 all bets were off......  Welcome to MEE AH MEE.

I was here to take a look at a freezer that had been causing the owner some difficulty.  A fellow from a local Refrigeration Company had worked on the unit earlier, told the owner that the compressor was bad, then added R134a.  When I climbed into the lazarette I was shocked - over 1" of ice on the copper tubing coming out of the freezer nearly all the way back to the compressor.  The system was SERIOUSLY overcharged.

I used a heat gun and melted the ice then slowly began reducing the charge in the system.  Finally got the charge corrected and the unit appears to be running properly but there may still be some issues.  One is that the compressor is fitted with a Danfoss AEO module (Adaptive Energy Optimizer) that is supposed to make the unit more efficient but this did not appear to be working.  There may also be an issue with the compressor but won't know till the owner reports back on the box temperature today. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment