Friday, September 7, 2012

Support Shelf and Cleats

Sequence of images showing how I made and then attached a shelf to the interior hull on an IP-32

I first made a template out of cardboard then transferred the template to 3/4" plywood.  Once verifying the fit of the shelf I then shaped and attached cleats made of 1x2 oak and dry fitted again.



This is the underside of the shelf with the cleats attached with screws.  I overlap the edges of the shelf with plastic film so that when I glue the cleats in I do not also glue in the shelf.  I prefer to make anything I add to the hull easily removeable!









Cleat










I leave all the cleats screwed to the shelf and then  epoxy to the hull.  This insures that the cleats are properly aligned to the hull and shelf.





















Cleat attached to hull with thickened epoxy.  I still need to sand the edges of the epoxy and repaint the hull.









The bare spots shown are areas that I cleaned before choosing to relocate the shelf lower in the lazarette.

No comments:

Post a Comment