Saturday, September 3, 2011

Here we go again, mo' recuperating

I was released from the hospital yesterday and had my first real meal in 5 days.  Man was that good! 

Hospital stay was interesting considering that when I arrived I expected a quick outpatient procedure and then found out that I would be in for 4 - 7 days!  Then there was the recovery room.  Pain in my stomach from the surgery was excruciating - I remember someone asking about my pain level - and I think I said "it's bad".  Seem to recall several injections but the pain was so bad that I was making faces.  Finally I was given something called dilaudid - pain went right away as did my desire to breathe.  So for the next 20 minutes or so I got to listen to an alarm go off and the nurse telling me to breathe. Lots of morphine and after two days I was able to get along without any pain medication.

Since some of my small intestine was removed I was hooked up to several IV's and not able to take anything orally.  It is amazing how thirsty I was the whole time but for some reason I was not hungry.

I have lots of staples and some new wounds in my belly and I am now looking at another month of taking it easy.  I really wonder what being recovered is going to feel like?

No comments:

Post a Comment