Friday, July 27, 2012

Intellectual Property Rights


Over the past several years I have belonged to several websites and discussion groups dedicated to Island Packet sailboats and their owners.  As the owner of text and photos that I have posted on one site in particular (called WEBSITE X for ease of reference), I had the right - until yesterday - to edit and/or delete my material at any time without consulting the website administrator.  That ability was/is built into WEBSITE X. 

Last summer I created my own “GrĂ¡inne” website and have been posting project information on that website.  As the projects on the “GrĂ¡inne” website have more current - and often more detailed - information, I have chosen to delete some photos and albums from my account on WEBSITE X.

Yesterday the administrator of WEBSITE X chose to make a libelous post about me on a discussion group. The accusation was that I had access to logins and passwords on the IPHOMEPORT website and had used that access to compromise individual user accounts and overall information security.  He then stated that I had deleted ALL of MY albums and that I could not be trusted.  The administrator then chose to restore MY albums that I had deleted, overwrote changes that I had made to others, and then closed my account.

I was accused by the WEBSITE X administrator of going rogue!  Lesley had to look up “rogue” in the dictionary just to see if I’m beyond redemption...  She says people should never use a word if they don’t know what it means.  If nothing else, we now have a new word in our vocabulary!  


I asked that my login rights on WEBSITE X be restored but have not yet gotten a response. 

No comments:

Post a Comment