Friday, February 7, 2014

Battery melt down!

We had a very scary thing happen this morning at about 0500 as we continue our return trip from the Caribbean.  We were anchored just North of the Shark River (should be called bug river).

I got up this morning and checked out stuff on the boat before making coffee.  Checked the bilge, checked fuel and water, checked batteries- yikes.  Even though we only use 35 AH's of 12 volt power overnight our house bank was down to an unheard of 12.1vdc!  Normally the house voltage drops to 12.55 or so overnight. 

I started to check the batteries and noticed that the cushion over the battery compartment was unusually warm to the touch.  Opened the compartment and one of the 4 house batteries was bulging near the positive terminal and was very very hot to the touch.  Busted ass to get the one battery disconnected and off the boat before it ruptured.  Luckily no hydrogen sulfide gas had vented but I was really afraid that the battery was going to explode!

Battery is gone and everything is back to normal (except house bank capacity).

I have to note that the battery that failed was one of 4 Deka AGMs.  Never had this happen before when I was using Lifelines - hope I never have it happen again, period.  Will not use the Deka batteries again.

4 comments:

  1. I know how you felt Bobby. I had this happen on ei'Lean as well. Fortunately I was at the dock. As I was removing and disconnecting the battery I was afraid the darn thing would explode in my face.
    I had 5 batteries in that tight compartment and it was like a jig saw puzzle getting them in and out. It took be one very nervous hour to get it out.

    Mine were Full River AGM's…. made in China. My next AGMs will be Lifelines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same with me, could not get the Lifelines in Antigua when I replaced them last time but the new ones will certainly be. All I could picture was either the battery exploding before I could get it off the boat or the whole mess catching fire! YIKES...........

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! That had to be very scary. I have heard of this thermal runaway situation on IP35 SITOA crossing the Atlantic. They too got it out and off the boat asap. I have a diagram for battery box removal with the order to get them out. It is NOT EASY. I have removed all DEKAs and installed all Lifelines last year. Glad you did not get hurt or burn the boat.
    Hayden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hayden:

      I was totally freaked out - the top of the cushion over the battery box was warm to the touch! All I could picture was either a fire or an explosion - then the mosquitoes could have picked over the remains of us!

      Delete