Sunday, October 5, 2014

Minor Electrical Upgrade

I've been spending some time on a Lagoon 450 recently doing some electrical work upgrading the AC/DC distribution system from this:





To something a bit more functional, to this:




The boat was a real mess from the factory.  It had 50 amp service but for some reason only half of it was wired and that powered 4 AC units.  The other half was not wired in.  The remaining AC loads on the boat were powered from an additional 30 amp 120vac service connector.

I'll post more photos later but the major effort at this point is converting the boat to 50amp 240vac, installing a multi-voltage isolation transformer, replacing the 120vac water heater element with a 240 unit, and replacing all the AC unit and pumps with 240vac 50/60hz units.

I've never used so many crimp lugs at one time in my life.

The new power panel is a custom BlueSea 360 series panel made to my design.  The breakers on the left most vertical column are 12vdc with the remaing 3 a mix of 240 and 120 AC.

The lower row of breakers are all DC units.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What a difference! I'm surprised that the Lagoon was so messed up. I always thought that they were a quality boat. Another quality job as usual.

    ReplyDelete