Monday, March 4, 2013

WiFi

Yesterday morning I went ashore and did some maintenance on the HotHotHotSpot Roseau Access Point.  I used a spare WiFi antenna that I had on board and some spare low loss coax (LMR-400) and started trying to find the problem.  I connected the output of the router to the antenna and Lesley checked the signal strength from the boat.  So far so good, next I connected the antenna to the output of the power injector - still good, end of the cable to the amplifier - BAD.  Replaced the cable and the signal level was still bad so checked the antenna cable connector (cable from the amplifier to the antenna) and it was also bad - crimp on connector had come loose.  The antenna here has a hardwired coax pigtail about 2 feet long and I did not have another crimp on connector or a spare antenna so jury rigged a fix till a new antenna can be sent down and installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment