Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Lunar Eclipse



We left Bequia yesterday morning at 0430 and when I go up on deck at about 0400 and started removing the anchor chain snubber and some other deck gear it seemed unusually dark. I mentioned to Lesley that the moon must have set and that the first part of our trip to St Lucia was going to be darker than we had planned. Lesley then mentioned that there was supposed to be an eclipse and so I went back on deck and started looking for the moon. Sure enough - a strange reddish orange orb was visible in the Western sky. As we departed the reddish orange color faded slowly but the moon was still darker than normal. As we crossed Bequia channel the shadow line from the earth slowly moved from the top of the moon to the bottom and was then gone.

Glad we got to see this event.

Now we are anchored off Malgretout, near Soufriere St Lucia and there is a tropical low, Invest 95, somewhere near Barbados giving us lots of rain with almost no breeze at all.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Picture. Did you take it?? I was up and tried but I could not hold the camera still enough even with my lower light lens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SOOOO COOOOL, I wish I got up at 0300hrs to see this as well. We missed it.

    ReplyDelete