Saturday, May 26, 2012

Summer Projects

We brought the tilt/swivel assembly from our Nissan 9.8HP outboard home so that I could rebuild it.  Ordered all of the needed parts from East Marine and have put everything back together again. 

Note that the parts are two different colors - top is Tohatsu black and the lower part is Nissan Grey!

 

I also brought the 12 volt NAV PC home so that I could rebuild it as well as we were starting to have some intermittent problems while still aboard.  The new PC is based on a Intel dual core ATOM processor in a fanless mini  ITX form factor.  The system includes a new 200gb SATA disc drive, 4gb of RAM, and two USB 3.0 ports.

There are no Windows XP drivers for the imbedded video processor on the new motherboard so I was forced to use Windows 7 with Virtual WindowsXP so that I could run my older Nobeltec VNS charting software.   The new system is completed, VNS is running in the Virtual XP machine and OpenCPN is running under Windows 7.

I also made a new panel for the various ports so that connections can be made from the front of the system and not the back.


No comments:

Post a Comment