Monday, March 26, 2012

Anchoring for friends

Today was pretty much like a normal day cruising.  Did a few maintenance items, electrical, plumbing, etc.  Then ran to town for some fresh veggies, dropped of trash, picked up some beer.

Came back to the boat and did some more maintenance then noticed what appeared to be a charter boat dragging down on a boat anchored beside us.  Being the kind concerned person that I am I hopped in the dink and went over to see if I could help.  The only person on board appeared to speak Russian with an occasional word of English - his English was better than my Russian so I asked him to start the engine and he did.  Then he said something I didn't understand and climbed in thru the forward hatch and started retrieving chain.  Seems that the windlass remote control does not work and he was shorting out the switch from below deck.  I thought he said I could control the windlass from the helm (2 helms actually - a very tired Beneteau).  The only switch I saw at the helm was a bow thruster and there was not a depth sounder or any other electronics visible.

I asked the gentleman how much chain and he said 30 meters - which was pretty strange as when I got on board the chain was snubbed and the boat had started out in 8 - 9 meters of water.

Anyway, I drove the boat forward some to where there was a patch of sand and without knowing how deep the water was told him to drop anchor.  I then went up on deck and dropped the rest of the chain and played out about another 75 feet of nylon rode.

Looks like they are holding and the other two fellows are back on board.

After handling only an Island Packet for all these years it sure was weird driving a Beneteau.  Think I'll keep my IP!

до свидания

1 comment:

  1. Здравствуйте!

    I drove a tired Catalina last winter. I had to move it from our marina for someone who was out of town.

    I know exactly what you are saying. The differences in the quality, balance, sound proofing etc became immediately evident.

    ReplyDelete