Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Working on the rigging

Today I plan to finish replacing the shrouds. I tried to get this done last time we were here but had a problem getting the stemball fittings out of the mast.  I've since made models of the fitting and the cutout on the mast and practiced to make sure that the procedure will work.  The problem is that the fitting - a Stemball Backing Shell Tang - fits inside the mast with the rigging wire protruding from the lower hole.  This fitting with the rigging wire attached has to be removed from the side of the mast through the teardrop shaped cutout.















I'm having a second cup of coffee now and will then gather up the tools, bosuns chair and camera and head up the mast.



Starting the project - first I had to go up the mast as far as the spreaders and remove a tip casting, boot and insert.


Once at the masthead I attached the bosuns chair to the backstay clevis and was now at the stemball fitting/upper shroud.


To remove the stemball fitting and shroud we had to loosen the jib halyard, main halyard and the spare - yikes - I'm on the spare halyard - but I had already secured myself to the backstay.  With these three halyards loose I was then able to twist, rotate and lift the fitting and shroud so that it came out of the mast.


After running a new shroud through the stemball fitting I reversed the twisting/turning and was able to insert the new shroud after making sure that none of the halyards were pinched.  I then attached the new turnbuckle to the chainplate and installed the spacer washers on the clevis pin.  The washers close the outside gap on the clevis at the chainplate and prevent the jib sheet from getting stuck!

As an additional note:  My owners manual shows the upper shroud length at 45' 1", turns out it is 43' 8".  So if you plan to do a rigging project make sure if possible that you use the old rigging as a template for the new.



Later today I am going to help Joel on SV Andante (IP380) replace his main sail.  This will be a good chance to check out a Mack Sail as I plan to purchase one for our boat this summer.

1 comment: