Monday, November 25, 2013

Wind Speed/Direction working

Three trip ups the mast, major surgery on the cable and connector, extra parts, soldering iron swap out, SUCCESS!

First, up the mast to see if I had enough slack to access the cable and I was able to pull about a foot up the mast and tie it off.  Then I took the masthead mount loose and took the connector apart to see what I had in store for me....  Molded soft rubber connector so rather than work up on the mast I cut the connector off and brought it down to do the temporary repair.

Down the mast and took the connector apart.  Cut into the connector to expose the wire from the broken pin.  I used an ohmmeter to confirm that it was the red wire and then tack soldered the wire and connector and put everything back together.

Second - up the mast with the repaired connector and parts, tools, soldering iron, extension cord etc.  Plugged the soldering iron in and started attempting to splice the 6 conductor cable - Trade winds to strong for the small soldering iron cooling it off so Lesley sent the 100watt iron up.  Spliced with wires and shield, reinstalled the unit at the mast  head and then started putting the wind vane cups and direction vane back on.  Dropped one of the nuts and watched as it made a one point landing in Rodney Bay.  Verified that the wind direction was now working and then went through the calibration procedure.  Back down the mast - need a replacement nut for the wind speed head.

Third, back up the mast and managed not to drop anything this time.

Finished, Success, we now know where the wind is coming from and at what speed.

This is a temporary repair that should hold till we can make it to the USVI to pick up permanent repair parts.


2 comments:

  1. Going up the mast was not one of my favorite jobs which I avoided at all costs. Away from the dock even more so. You also need a dependable person that you trust hauling you up… Have you been nice to Lesley? :-)

    Or are you using a self ascender?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm being nice to Lesley and Lesley is the one who hauls me up.

    ReplyDelete